Pages

Saturday, February 26, 2011

Christmas Snack Crafts

I love that Austin is now of the age that he can do crafts! He loves playing "Dough" with all his cookie cutters, so I thought he'd like to help me make some Christmas treats to give to people. I made sugar cookies last year, so I decided to mix it up and make rice krispie treats this year. Unfortunatley I underestimated how difficult it would be to push a cookie cutter through an inch of rice krispies! Austin had fun for all of a minute, which is about how long it took for my hands to hurt too! I persevered and cut out a couple dozen christmas trees and let Austin help me decorate them. He likes sprinkles! A little too much! He helped me sprinkle a few and then when my attention was elsewhere he started sneaking sprinkles back off and into his mouth! In order to spare the rest of the treats, I set him up with his very own plate of sprinkles and he was a happy helper! And I got the rest of the trees done.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

I was pretty happy with how they turned out too!
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug


I had a ton of krispie treat left over from in between my cuts, so I thought I'd make rice krispie balls, dip them in chocolate and sprinkles and add them to the presents. It didn't occur to me how dense they were as I was rolling them together. So while they came out beautifully, about 1/2 of them were too hard to actually eat! And you couldn't tell until you bit into them and almost broke a tooth! Woops!

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug


Austin and I also made a Ginger Bread Train. It did not come out exactly as intended. I bought one of those kits from Bed Bath & Beyond for about $10. I guess you get what you pay for. The pieces did not break apart "EZ" as the box indicated, the frosting never got soft and pliable as it was supposed to nor was it sticking! The decorations were fairly tasty, so of course we snacked on those more than using them as actual decorations. So we ended up with a cracked, partial, wobbly, pitifully adorned, sad excuse for a train! But we had fun making it, so I guess that's what counts!

Austin wasn't horribly sure about the green frosting all over his hands


Pillaging the decor


Our beautiful masterpiece
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug


No comments: