Pages

Friday, June 10, 2011

How Does Your Garden Grow?

(Caught up! I'm caught up! Although by the time this actually posts, I'll prolly be behind again! =P Still I can be proud that for at least one day I was caught up!)

Since Thursdays have evolved into a Nani Day, we've been trying to think of different fun things to do each week. One week my mom was showing Austin a tomato plant in their backyard and he was so anxious for it to turn from green to red so he could pick it. He wanted to go out every 15 minutes and check it! So my mom got the idea that he might enjoy planting a garden in their backyard and get to experience the whole process of planting, watering and picking his own food!

They have some old planter boxes on the 2nd level of their backyard that had just been sitting weedy for a while, so Nani cleared them out, bought a bunch of plants and seeds and was all ready for us to go the very next week! Austin's attention span wasn't quite there to plant the whole garden, so we did just a little bit of each task. He did a great job helping! McKenna...well, she wasn't nearly as helpful, but she sure enjoyed herself!

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Apparently my parents' dirt tastes Oh-so-yummy!


So while I tried in vain to keep McKenna from consuming God-knows-what, I got some cute pictures of Austin helping Nani! (I apologize for the hat covering his cute little face in most of the pics. I was thinking sunburn, not photographic moment! Next time I'll plan better!)

Diggin' holes
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Plantin' plants
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Checking out the carrot seeds
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug





Pokin' holes for little seeds
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Carefully droppin' them in


And of course, waterin' them!
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug


McKenna wanted to help with the watering. Although really I suspect she just wanted to play in the mud!
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug


(And yes, if it looks like she's about to get sprayed in the head, you are right. She didn't mind at all though! That kid sure loves water!)


I'm hoping to post more about our garden as it grows! Some of the seeds say they only take a week to poke through in about a week, so we're hoping to see some progress this week!

No comments: