Pages

Thursday, September 8, 2011

Let's Go Fly A Kite

(Sorry for my bit of a blog break! We've been busy this summer and it was nice to rest to my blogging fingers a bit! But McKenna's update has got me rolling again.)

Our 2nd family get-together of July started out a little rough. First of all, we had to go without Daddy. I wasn't kidding when I said in my last post before McKenna's update, that July was full of family events! We were double booked. So Brian spent the day with his extended family at a volleyball tournament in honor of his cousin that passed away a few years ago and the kids spent the day with my extended family on my mom's side.

And then my little girl went and burned the dessert I was taking! I suppose she did me a favor cuz I didn't need the calories. I had all the best intentions of making some simple cookies and then I found pinterest.com. And became addicted. Thanks Becca! It's a great site for sharing all sorts of ideas - crafts, recipes, decorations, etc. And I found this...



That would be a dessert consisting of layer of cookie, a layer of oreos and a layer of extra fudgey brownies, all baked together into one yummy gooey goodness! I couldn't NOT make it!

Unfortunately it came out like this...

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug


Yeah, not nearly as appetizing!

While I was busy gathering stuff to take to the picnic, my naughty little girl decided to play with the oven knobs. Turns out that while the child-safety knob covers keep a kid from turning on the oven, it doesn't keep them from turning it UP. So for some unknown amount of time, my cake cooked at 500 degrees instead of 350. And burnt my poor little cookie-oreo-brownie goodness to a crisp! The edges were hard as a rock, but the center was still pretty gooey, so it sunk. That's why it looks like someone stepped on it!

But despite it looking so darn pitiful and despite the top layer having the consistency of cement (seriously, it hurt your hand to knock on it), it was stinkin' delicious! The center part that is. Once you chiseled a piece out. I swear! Other family members can attest to the yumminess!

Thankfully that was the worst of our day, (as well as having to explain why the poor dessert looked that way and why the heck I still brought it despite looking that way!) cuz the rest of the day was a ball!

Austin LOVES his cousins! His good buddy, Monkey, was there. He gets to see a few of his second cousins once a month when we go a'quilting and he was so excited to get to spend the day with them! All I heard about was Eric & Nick for days beforehand!

You can just see the exuberance!

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug


The cousins had brought simple little kites with them and wonderfully there was an extra one for Austin to play with too. He had never flown a kite before and he was in heaven.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug


After getting good and tired from running and running, we did some good eating! For a change, my kids ate!

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug



Of course, McKenna has never been known to turn down sweets!

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug


Then there was time for more playing. The kids (big and small) wanted to climb trees.

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug



Austin wanted to...until he got up there! (this branch is approximately 3 feet off the ground, by the way)

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug


After come coaxing, I got a kinda smile out of him

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug


And Uncle Scott got a good one

Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug


And some miscellaneous cuteness...

My sweet Katelyn and her momma
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

My cousin's little guy, Gavin. How cute is he?!
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug

My peanut sporting the dress I made her!
Photo & Video Sharing by SmugMug


It's so good to have good family!

No comments: